Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grasshoppers and Slugs!


It's amazing the creatures you find in the garden if you take a minute or two to look. Some of the creatures are looking to eat and some are actually beneficial to the garden. The grasshopper above was found in the middle of the strawberries. Perhaps this type of grasshopper is a lubber grasshopper? Down south we always had big black and yellow grasshoppers we called Georgia Thumpers (I believe these are actually Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers) We've also been finding lots of slugs. With all the rain the slugs must be loving it! There have been slugs in the tomatoes and lots of other wet places. As we've moved some of the rocks we've seen slugs crawling all around looking for another dark wet place. I believe the slug shown below is a spotted garden slug? When I first can across this slug it really startled me because it reminded me of a rattlesnake.



No comments:

Post a Comment